SANE scanner and root user

Hi there

I have an old Epson GT-5000 scanner which is not supported by my Windows system (Win 2k pro), but which is still supported by SANE, and so I installed, and it works fine. However, I can only use the scanner when logged in as root. I know that this is a known issue, and is connected with the driver accessing the parallel port directly. I also know that there are ways to allow any user to access it. What I can't find, is any debian specific workaround (All the workarounds I've found are generic, and tend to not transalate easily to a debian installation).

Now this isn't necessarily a huge problem ATM - I'm on a single user system and the only network I connect to is the Internet via ppp, but I have my system configured to boot me straight into a user kde system, and not as root.

Can someone give me a step by step guide to the fix to allow access from the user account I have set up.

TIA

Steve