Re: SANE scanner and root user

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:46:31AM +0000, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have an old Epson GT-5000 scanner which is not supported by my Windows
> system (Win 2k pro), but which is still supported by SANE, and so I
> installed, and it works fine. However, I can only use the scanner when
> logged in as root. I know that this is a known issue, and is connected
> with the driver accessing the parallel port directly. I also know that
> there are ways to allow any user to access it. What I can't find, is any
> debian specific workaround (All the workarounds I've found are generic,
> and tend to not transalate easily to a debian installation).

ISTR this being fixed some time ago, so you may only have to upgrade
to the latest version of sane. I may be misremembering, but it's
certainly been fixed for my mustek scanner. I've forgotten exactly how
the various levels fit together; maybe it's only the mustek backend
that was fixed.

If it's not fixed for yours, it's not too hard to hack the backend
source and replace all the direct parallel-port accesses with IEEE1394
library calls. I did this just before the official fix came out. If
you're still screwed in a couple of weeks, drop me a line and I'll
send you the original source and my hack so you can see what I did for
some clues (can't do this now as I'm not on that box).

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons