is it 2.6 or alsa?

Hi list,

[using Sid on an nforce-Board with i810]

I tried and upgraded to 2.6.2 (both from the Debian repository and
self-compiled), and since that I noticed that everything is a lot faster -
including sound ;-)

The problem is: I don't actually know where to start searching, since 2.6
also brings ALSA into the game, and until now I used OSS.

It's not really Mickey Mouse, but a *lot* of sounds, including mp3s and all
that stuff, are now running quite - hmmmm - "excitedly". With OSS
emulation, this is also true for the system sounds (in KDE for instance);
when I use pure ALSA instead, it's really "mickey".

Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien