debian wont boot after 2.4.24 build , strange one!

This is a strange one,

I built debian woody bf24, installed kernel-image-2.4.18-686(added initrd
to lilo and re ran lilo) rebooted all ok, downloaded 2.4.24 source from
testing and copied in the conf file from the 2.4.18-686 build.

I followed the usual debian build instructions made my
customisations(turned on raid in the kernel  and e1000 driver as a module)
and installed the new 2.4.24 kernel without errors.

Now have a kernel panic in both the new and old kernel? what is really
strange is that neither slackware live CD or Knoppix will boot, both fail
when tring to load the fixed disk?

Now in pursuit of sanity I rebuilt again(was able to use debian boot CD to
re-install and init the partions) and got exactly the same problem.

HD is a maxtor 80GB with a 1GB raid partition and the rest ext3 for /

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Martin