Re: Idiot needs PPP help

Hi there,

Earlier Kenward Vaughan wrote:

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:16:55PM -0000, stephen HARGREAVES wrote:
Hi all

OK - I'm an idiot - but now I'm an idiot with a problem.

After a crash, I rebooted to find that some of the ppp files had vanished.
No problem, I thought - uninstall ppp and re-install from my installation
disk - except it doesn't (re-install) and now I have no dial up from linux.

Is there any way I can recover this situation without a fresh install of the
system?

Why won't it reinstall?  Are you using apt-get?  If so, trash that
idea, mount the CD, find the ppp .deb file, and reinstall using dpkg.

On the other hand, I think apt-get _can_ do it... with a "--reinstall"
option: 'apt-get --reinstall install foo.deb' Try it and see if it
barfs.

OK - I don't know why it wouldn't install from the CD, but I also didn't know that individual packages could be downloaded from Debians site until half an hour ago. Anyway, I used Windows to download ppp and pppconfig, saved them to floppy, rebooted linux and installed them from there.

After re-configuring ppp I tried to go online only to be told pppd.tbd couldn't be opened. Forced an fsck only to find several errors on my drive (previously marked "clean" after the crash). Fixed the errors - and I'm back :o)

God only knows what else has been trashed (My kde customisation had gone out the window) - I hope nothing important has gone.

Steve