Re: debian wont boot after 2.4.24 build , strange one!

On 2004-02-16, Martin penned:
> This is a strange one,
>
> I built debian woody bf24, installed kernel-image-2.4.18-686(added
> initrd to lilo and re ran lilo) rebooted all ok, downloaded 2.4.24
> source from testing and copied in the conf file from the 2.4.18-686
> build.
>
> I followed the usual debian build instructions made my
> customisations(turned on raid in the kernel  and e1000 driver as a
> module) and installed the new 2.4.24 kernel without errors.
>
> Now have a kernel panic in both the new and old kernel? what is really
> strange is that neither slackware live CD or Knoppix will boot, both
> fail when tring to load the fixed disk?
>
> Now in pursuit of sanity I rebuilt again(was able to use debian boot
> CD to re-install and init the partions) and got exactly the same
> problem.
>
> HD is a maxtor 80GB with a 1GB raid partition and the rest ext3 for /
>
> Any ideas?

I think seeing the error messages would be a big first step.

Also, did the slackware and knoppix cds fail to boot only after you
tried to install 2.4.24, or did that failure start with the kernel
change?

I take it that the /boot directory is "somewhere" in the remaining 79GB?
I don't know if that would cause trouble for lilo ...

--
monique