EXIM configuration question

I am puzzled about how to configure this.  It is probably one line but I
missed it.

I want to configure it so that it first attempts to deliver directly.
Then if it fails delivers through the ISP's relay.

Background ...

It's easy to configure it to always deliver directly.  That works except
for certain sites (AOL) that block addresses that are listed in dynamic
IP blocks.  (well known problem)

It's easy to configure it to always relay through my ISP's relay.

It's easy to have certain listed destinations delivered through my ISP's
relay, and those not listed delivered directly.

I am using:
Exim version 3.36 #1 built 11-Dec-2003 11:35:23
on sid.

What I would like is for something to make the decision automatically
without explicitly listing the problem sites.