Konstruct -- how to start KDE 3.2?

Hey,

This morning when I was getting awake, I added a test user to my system,
to try out Konstruct. I put it to build and was delighted to see it
running smoothly all the way.

However, I can't get the fresh KDE 3.2 installation to start up... I'm
not sure why it won't work. I've tried about everything I could think
of, which would be

* Creating an .xsession file in the test user's home directory,
  containing "exec ~/kde3.2/bin/startkde" and choosing "Debian"
  in the GDM menu.

* Noticing that the script called KDE that is in /etc/gdm/Sessions
  contains /usr/bin/kde3 as an argument to /etc/X11/Xsession, and
  seeing that /usr/bin/kde3 is really a symlink to /usr/bin/startkde,
  I tried to put a script in /etc/gdm/Sessions, replacing /usr/bin/kde3
  with /home/testuser/kde3.2/bin/startkde

* That didn't work either; I always got plain KDE 3.1.5 (if not just
  xsm, whatever that may be...). So I switched to a virtual terminal,
  quite reluctantly since I haven't yet got that to work with kernel
  2.6.x and my Nvidia graphics card. Blindly typing, I manually
  started X (as that test user) with a .xinitrc file the same as
  the .xsession file I tried to use first. Once more, KDE 3.1.5
  started up.

So I wonder, did I misunderstand some things, or is Konstruct indeed
meant to be a way to use a second KDE installation, without interfering
with the systemwide KDE? And if it is, how should I, ehm, begin using
it? I sure hope my processor hasn't been crunching all day for
nothing... :-/

As an important sidenote: Konstruct shouldn't normally have fiddled with
the default KDE installation, right? I think I'd start to cry if
noticing something like that would be the next thing.

Could anyone give me a clue on how to start KDE as it is installed in a
users's home directory?

Greets,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."