Re: newbie network config

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:28:50 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:46:10PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
> > Apt-get by itself is years beyond what rpm was, when I played around
> > with it.
>
> Well, that's comparing an apple to an orange, as well.  apt-get would
> be closest to the cheap knockoff, apt-rpm.  rpm is closest to dpkg.

True, but the keywords in my statement were "when I played around with
it". apt-rpm wasn't available when I played with Redhat, Mandrake and
SuSE (all of which use rpms), which is one of the reasons I switched to
Debian.

> That being said, RPM is inheirently flawed by file (as opposed to
> package) dependencies and inconsistent package names and file
> locations.  See also: dependency hell.

No disagreements there.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #43:
Q: How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?