Re: newbie network config

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:32:12 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> wrote:

> At 09:12 PM 2/13/2004, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> >I thought for sure you had said it was a Netgear card...
>
> 'Tis... fa310tx to be exact. Apparently it works with the tulip driver
> just fine, got 'top' running on an ssh session as I write this --
> watching my new debian box do essentially nothing at the moment. :)

Ah, ok. My guess would have been natsemi, for a Netgear card.

> >if you have a decent 'net connection, use apt-get from your nearest
> >mirror to download the extra packages you want... much easier than
> >downloading/burning ISOs.
>
> So apt is what we use in debian; cool. Now all I need is to establish
> name recognition.

Well, it's actually just one of the tools. Apt-get is a front-end for
the dpkg package management system. If you want the Debian equivalent of
rpm-qa, use dpkg(-l). If you want something to hold your hand a little
more than apt-get, try aptitude (or so I'm told... I learned apt-get and
never felt like changing. Apt-get by itself is years beyond what rpm
was, when I played around with it.) There's also dselect, but it's
usually only referred to in nightmares... :-)

All the tools get their list of available packages for installation from
/etc/apt/sources.list.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #2:
Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.