Re: newbie network config

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:16:22 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> wrote:

> At 09:46 PM 2/12/2004, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> >First, check to make sure you have the kernel module for your NIC
> >installed. "lsmod" will show you all the kernel modules currently
> >loaded.
>
> lockd / sunrpc / nls_cp437 / pcmcia_core / af_packet / unix

Ok, so there's obviously not any network card modules loaded (though
that by itself wouldn't rule out a driver being compiled into the
kernel, instead of as a module).

> >You might also check "dmesg" for any output concerning your network
> >card.
>
> dmesg|grep eth gives nothing

Ok, so 2 out of 2 are now indicating no network card recognized.

> >If, for some reason, the appropriate kernel module is installed but
> >dmesg doesn't say anything about which device it is, try an "ifconfig
> >-a" to see what network devices your system sees out there.
>
> Just shows localhost at lo

Now 3 out of 3. Pretty safe to say nothing is recognizing the network
card yet.

> Funny thing, I've installed fbsd and rh9 on two machines on my lan and
> they both found the nics. I find it ironic because they both older,
> 3com nics while this box has a relatively newer netgear in it. Anyway,
> what can I do from here?

Older 3coms are probably the easiest to recognize and install, of all
the network cards I've known. Being newer can narrow the Netgear's
chance of being recognized, depending on the chipset it uses.

Assuming it's a PCI card, try "lspci" and look for a Network/Ethernet
controller in it's lines of output. This should help you determine the
chipset and find which driver it needs. You might also try a google
search on the model of your card and see if you can find any tips/hints
and drivers that other Linux users are using for your card. I'm afraid
I'm not familiar enough with Netgear cards to tell you which driver you
need.

At the least, you'll probably need to compile a module for your kernel,
but you may need to compile a new kernel as well.

> Thanks Jacob.

Any time. :-)

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #56:
Windows hasn't increased computer literacy. It's just lowered the
standard.