gtkam with Canon A300 not working

Hi,

Good to be back to the group after a few weeks of vacation.

That over, I just upgraded my Debian Sarge(kernel: 2.4.22-hs1.1-nvidia) (downloaded some 250MB of data!).

But older problems still persist. I recall trying to solve some problems related to fonts, gv, gs, etc. But not all at once, let us start with this: I cannot read/connect the Canon A300 digital camera using gtkam. When I start gtkam, it starts with "No camera listed". About gtkam:
{tmp}> dpkg -l gtkam
||/ Name        Version             Description
+++-=========-============-=================================================
ii  gtkam       0.1.2-2     GTK+ application for digital still cameras

And about gphoto2:
{tmp}> dpkg -l gphoto2
||/ Name       Version    Description
+++-============-========-======================================================
ii  gphoto2    2.1.4-1   The gphoto2 digital camera command-line client

(BTW, how do I make the dpkg list the info with different col width?).

So when I try to "autodetect" the camera, gtkam reports "cannot initialize camera".

Here is some more info:
{tmp}> ls -l /proc/bus/usb
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Feb  9 15:30 001
dr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Feb  9 15:30 002
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Feb  9 20:36 devices
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Feb  9 20:36 drivers

Any hints, or pointers to webpages that explain how to make gtkam work with digital cameras in Debian?

Thanks a ton,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)