Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:04:17AM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:04:57PM -0500, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 February 2004 7:18 pm, Marc Wilson wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > Then they should use it.  I couldn't care less whether someone uses Debian,
> > > Knoppix, SuSE, Mandrake, or even Windows.  Cluebies have been shooting
> > > themselves in the foot since time immemorial, and it's not up to me to make
> > > a choice for them as to what they should use.
>
> shooting foot == learning;

No.  If they learned from the experience, they wouldn't be a cluebie.  How
does the small child learn not to touch the hot stove?  He burns himself.
Or mommy spanks him when he tries, anyway.  None of us want him to get
HURT, but that's how we learn.  From experience.

The cluebie goes right back and does it again.  And again.  And again.

That's what I cannot abide.

> nobody should expect anything from a list ever

I don't expect anything from a list... I'm just grateful that it's there.

> At first blush I agreed with this statement.  Then I realized that the
> reason debian-user works is because knowledge comes before courtesy.

Hm.  Let's make sure of something here.  I have no problem at all with
someone who doesn't know something.  There's a whole world out there full
of things *I* don't know.  I save posts off debian-user and debian-devel
all the time.

I have problems with people who don't *want* to know.  Or don't think they
should *have* to know.

--
 Marc Wilson |     How do I get HOME?
 msw@cox.net |