Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Feb 9, 2004, at 5:29 PM, Sam Halliday wrote:
now please can we stop this thread and get back to debian related
issues?

This from the person who took the time to answer the original poster's anti-Microsoft comments with non-Linux/non-Debian advocacy on a Linux list???

You started it, sir. I just offered up some Linux CAD options, not being a Holier-than-Thou CAD software expert.

While you may be very intelligent regarding CAD software, you sure seem willing to attack people like myself who are only pointing out alternatives that ARE Linux-related on a Linux mailing list, and then claiming that *I* took the conversation off-topic? Wow. Quite bold of you.

Consider where you're posting. The majority of Debian users here could really care less what CAD software you use or what your problems are in finding a Linux vendor so you can run it on a stable, high-quality OS. The few that might be able to help by coding up a replacement for you haven't exactly been hired yet to do so by your employer who's stuck with a proprietary closed vendor situation, so obviously that's what they choose for their business. In other words, where the original poster was talking about choices, your organization has already made their choice.

You're appear to be out to prove you're right at all costs -- so you attacked me, which is pretty silly considering that I don't really care. I'm just a guy who posted some CAD links to a really stupid thread.

But... consider for a moment that the vast majority of the world doesn't need nor use CAD software at all, and then re-read the original poster's message within that context.

If only 0.1% of the world's computer users use CAD software, then he's 99.9% correct -- adjust the percentages accordingly to real world numbers.

Therefore your example is very poor, and his point is still quite valid. If the majority of computer users typically use e-mail MTA's, network file systems, mail servers, webservers, and not CAD software daily, Linux/Unix excels at those items and is generally regarded as much higher quality software -- then their choice of inferior Microsoft products is wrong.

Most just don't know they're even making a choice.

So you're 100% accurate that there are some people need Windows to run certain software, but in the bigger picture of things, you're 100% wrong that the original poster was not right.

He may have neglected to point out that a very small population of the overall computer user-base out there might have a special need, but generally his comment was right. People running Windows for daily generic applications -- are making a mistaken choice.

Nice try. The reality is that Microsoft's software is buggy, security-hole-ridden, crap. Anyone forced to use it by a third-party software vendor (AutoCAD) should be very very unhappy with that vendor, and should be voicing it to that vendor -- not Microsoft. Those of us who realize Microsoft software is of poor-quality have already told Microsoft it's not worth purchasing -- by not purchasing it.

Maybe you can get AutoCAD to buy your copies of Windows to run their software on, if they require it for their software to work? I doubt it, but hey... it's worth a try over the bargaining table when you say you'd like to run their software on a good quality OS!

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com