Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:04:57 -0500
Jeff Elkins <jeffelkins@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 February 2004 7:18 pm, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:16:33PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
<Snip>
> I just have to say that I find this cluebie/stupid nonsense you keep
> spouting very offputting and childish. I've used Koppix for a quick
> sid install and have no problems recommending it to folks that want a
> easy taste of Linux. I've since switched to Mepis, to escape Knoppix's
> Germanocentric flavor, but the principle is the same.
>
> And the 'unstable is only for the elite' is also silly.
>
> My 12 year old granddaughter is happily running sid (installed on her
> laptop from a Mepis CD). Despite the 'unstable' moniker, it never
> crashes, has the latest software, and is free from Windows
> malware/viruses.
>
> Cut out the "stupid/cluebie" nonsense.  You hurt Debian, Linux, and
> OSS in general with this elitist attitude.
>
> BTW, this is being posted from FreeBSD 5.2 which I installed "once."

Exactly right!
This ridiculous factionalism dividing the O.S. community into cliches is
extremely damaging at a time when it can least afford it.
If all these derivative Debian based distros were not placed in this
situation of being completely estranged from the main community, they
would have much to place back into Debian, that Debian and all of us
would profit from enormously.

How much further ahead would Debian be if it already incorporated
Knoppixs' hardware recognition, Adamantixs' security features and
Xandros' drag and drop capability? Instead I have sat back and watched
as supposedly mature aged individuals see fit to inflate their deprived
egos by denigrating those distributions that they are not associated
with in order to gain some supposed level of acceptance within the
immediate group in the manner of an insecure wreck, and those
individuals that have not achieved their elementary level within a
limited field of achievement.

Because an individual has not achieved a certain status within your
limited paradigmal view, does not mean that they are stupid. In some
other aspect they may well have a level of achievement that makes yours'
appear to be somewhat arid. And going by cursory observation of your
mentality, which is all it takes, they probably have done.

Debian requires all the newbies that knock on the door.
Debian does not require the variety of primitive life form that takes it
upon himself to alienate them, or the adherents to the closely related
distributions that we could well be incorporating in to the main code
body.
I'll take the 'stupid/cluebies' as company any day in preference to the
midget mentalities that are making a public display of themselves in
this thread.
Regards,

David.