Re: logs rapidly fill /var partition

On Monday 09 February 2004 16:12, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > The problem is that each of these logs ends up 120 Mb in size and
> > > the remaining space in my 500 Mb /var partition quickly
> > > disappears.

As an aside, wouldn't it be cool if you could tell logrotate how much
diskspace all the logs combined could be allowed to use, so that it
could rotate, compress and delete logs before they fill up the entire
partition?

It would perhaps not help in your case, but I have experienced a couple
of times that logs have grown large in a few days because I haven't
been paying attention to what happened, and completely filled the
partition (on critical systems, I have a seperate /var/log/ partition,
so that it won't crash things if full, but I haven't filled that).

Is this possible?

If not, what do think, should I file a wishlist bug?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo