Re: Debian, Knoppix, and other varients

Krikket <krikket <at> gothpoodle.com> writes:

> LibraNet looks good, but I don't want to pony up some cash until I know
> which branch it's based on.  Similar difficulties with Mepis and Xandros.

The maintainers of LibraNet recently created their own repository of Debian
packages.  They mix testing/unstable; however, if changes to either of those
repositories will cause broken dependencies, they delay those changes in their
own repository.  LibraNet is a good choice if you want ease of use out of the
box.

I've been playing with Debian for maybe 18 months now. I've also tried just
about every variant of it (Knoppix, Morphix, Gnoppix, Lindows) and most of the
other popular distros. In the end, I've always come back to good ol' Debian.
Installation may be trickier than other distros (although that's changing with
the new Sarge installer), but once you're up and running, it's a beautiful
thing. And the community is fantastic and immensely helpful, as long as you ask
informed questions.

Slackware taught me to hate Linux. SuSe taught me to like it. Debian showed me
its true power and grace.

Viva la Debian!