Re: logs rapidly fill /var partition

> As an aside, wouldn't it be cool if you could tell logrotate how much
> diskspace all the logs combined could be allowed to use, so that it
> could rotate, compress and delete logs before they fill up the entire
> partition?

Kjetil,

Yes, in fact my system did crash in my absense, presumably because of
this, and I lost hundreds of e-mail messages before that happened. So
the effect can be disastrous.

It seems to me such a script could certainly be written. It would find
and measure the size of the relevant log files, and when a threshhold
value is raeched, start deleting the highest numbered backup log,
until the total falls beneath the threshhold. I'm no good at writing
scripts, but what little I do know suggests such a utility would be
simple to design.

Haines