Re: HOWTO - Speed up IDE HD's - raid

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.1040207233919.16354A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>, Alvin Oga wrote:

>> RAID 1 is one strategy for getting 'faster' read going.
>

> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20000329/fastrak66-14.html
>

> "its" linearly faster for reading ... but also linearly slower for writing
>:-)

First, I cannot see that statement (writing linearly slower) confirmed
on the page you mention, and second, I wonder why that would be.
When writing one block of data to a raid1 array of N disks, the block
indeed needs to be written N times -- but it can be sent to each disk
simultaniously, so it should take constant time.

Sure, writing to a raid 1 array will never be as fast as straight to
disk, but it shouldn't be all that much slower.

Thanks,
joostje