Re: dvips TeX printer driver

Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Joost Witteveen um 12:26:

> >> I would guess that what is happening is that you are running dvips and
> >> expecting seing your file coming from the printer. Well, at least in
> >> sid, when you run dvips it works as if you were using
> >> "dvips -o file.ps file.dvi", so a solution could be to turn this off.
> >
> > Interesting. I always used dvips to create the .ps file and print it
> > simultaneously, and you are correct that it works under woody as if
> > the -o option were present. But the man offered no clue as to how to
> > "turn off" the option which is not on to begin with (unless it is
> > present in a dvips script somewhere).
>
> It does:
>
> dvips -o '!lpr' file.dvi
>
> But indeed the change of default behaviour did happen silently,
> and could be better described in the manual page, at the thop of
> the man file, it still reads
>
> - The program dvips takes a DVI file file[.dvi] produced by TeX (or by
> - some other processor such as GFtoDVI) and converts it to PostScript,
> - normally  sending  the  result directly  to the (laser)printer

If you don't want to print by default when invoking dvips, look into the
file /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ps
Lines 14--16 read as follows (on sid):

% How to print, maybe with lp instead lpr, etc. If commented-out, output
% will go into a file by default.
% o |lpr

Just uncomment the "% o | lpr" line by removing the % sign, and dvips
will produce a ps file and send it to lpr as well.

joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!