Re: HOWTO - Speed up IDE HD's

On Son, 2004-02-08 at 04:57, Marc Wilson wrote:

> Never mind that the kernel can do 90% of this on its own, and a wonderful
> first step should *always* be finding out why it HASN'T.
>
> People who write hdparm HOWTOs need to be hung up by their toenails.  I've
> yet to read one that tried to be an even minimally responsible resource.

I agree to the toenail part, esp when it comes to 'howtos' that feature
a single command without further discussion. One size fits nobody...?

Nevertheless I still have to learn how I do find out WHY, exactly, the
kernel hasn't enabled a special feature. My only approach is to tweak
things, one at a time, and see if it works or breaks. Works for me (tm),
but if you know better, please let me know.

cu,
Schnobs