Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

And i was probably building computers when your mama was changing your
diapers... since i learned basic on a trash-80 model-1 when i was barely a
teenager (ok so some would say i am just as bad calling the trs-80 by the
popular term of trash-80 --- i knew some guys who ran a good bbs on a trs-80
model-II).   As for installing an OS not being brain surgery... i can tell
you i wouldn't let my brain-surgeon (neurosurgeon) work on my computer... but
i probably am going to let him cut a second chunk out of my brain this
summer.

For him and many other people having an easy install OS is imperative.  Come
to think of it it really helps me since i'm not quite what i used to be (i
used to called people "stupids" just because they weren't as familiar with
something as i am).

Admittedly i need to drop back to stable at this time because i can't figure
out why removing a library "requires" that i also remove a number of
documents that describe things but do not use the library in any way.  And
why a number of libraries won't install because something requires that you
use the previous version of that library or greater.... but it doesn't
recognize the new version as being a newer version.  My mind doesn't work the
way it used to so unfortunately i need to drop back to stable and work on
backporting the applications i need... if my brain will work long enough for
me to do it. :-)

Oh, and when i was a teen... the average person didn't install much more than
DOS.  We've come a long way... i hope we don't go back.  Come to think of it
even a simple OS many people paid for someone to install.   after all i was
born a few months after Kennedy was shot...  Now some of you know i'm younger
than you... and many others haven't any idea my age. ;-)

--dale
--getting to be an older fart who happens to like gui os and installs. ;-)
--options are Great!!  so long as they are options and not requirements

On Saturday 07 February 2004 03:12 pm, Kent West wrote:
> Marc Wilson wrote:
> >There's no reason why he should be installing operating
> >systems, either, any more than he should be building cars.  Or performing
> >brain surgery.  Contrary to popular belief, there ARE some things that Joe
> >Stupid has no business doing.
>
> Installing an OS or building a car aren't quite the same as doing brain
> surgery. If Joe Stupid wants to build a car, let him. (We might not want
> to let him drive it in places where faulty design/implementation might
> get someone hurt, but that's a different issue than building.)
>
> Just because you wouldn't use Knoppix as a starting point, or jump from
> stable to unstable, is no reason someone else might not. I tend to agree
<snip>
> Also, the use of the phrase "a stupid" seems harsh (and most likely,
> inaccurate).
>
> --
> Kent

---it is ok to have no rules...