Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

* Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> [040208 10:44]:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:15:38AM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> > When an old laptop falls into your hands, and you don't have any
> > documentation on it, it's easier to use Knoppix and then upgrade to
> > Debian than it is to do the work needed to install Debian directly.
> > So long as the end result is the same (a Debian unstable box),
> > easier is better.
>
> Except it's NOT necessarily easier.  Lusers all over promote Knoppix
> as a way to get Debian installed.  So cluebies use it, and then
> they've been told to upgrade it, so they do.

I do not endorse the use of Knoppix by people unfamiliar with Debian; I
was responding to someone else who does.  I merely reported that Knoppix
has helped me in the past year when I (who have installed Debian many
times and usually upgrade to unstable when it's my own hardware) was
dealing with unfamiliar hardware I didn't want to bother researching.
It is simply a fact that Knoppix saved me a lot of time last year.

As for what newbies should do, I think they should find a friend who
knows how to install Debian stable.

--
Lance Simmons