Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 10:28:03PM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> Once you do the HD installation, you have their, allbeit mixed, distro based
> on Debian and KDE.

Ok, now... we've got a stupid who couldn't figure out how to read well
enough to run the Debian installer.  You thus propose to him that he
install a completely non-standard Knoppix, which he does.

> You then upgrade and play with it the way you would with any purer Debian
> installation.

And *now* you propose that the same stupid move to unstable, which is the
only possible sane upgrade target from the mess that is Knoppix.  Just
great... he didn't have enough clue to understand *stable*, and now you
propose to shunt him directly to *unstable*.  Please.

> What Knoppix gives you is decent hardware detection and auto-setup.
> Debian will itself be doing this.

Yes, unfortunately even Debian will be pandering to the stupids who can't
be bothered to read well enough to know what was on the invoice they just
signed.

And NO, before you whine... there's no reason why the stupids should have
to know that.  There's no reason why he should be installing operating
systems, either, any more than he should be building cars.  Or performing
brain surgery.  Contrary to popular belief, there ARE some things that Joe
Stupid has no business doing.

Sorry... the answer to Barbie's statement "But that's so hard!" is not to
dumb it down so that Barbie can continue not to think, but rather to
understand that there are some things Barbie just shouldn't be doing
without appropriate training.

--
 Marc Wilson |     (It is an old Debian tradition to leave at least
 msw@cox.net |     twice a year ...)  -- Sven Rudolph