Re: Phone dialer for Linux

On February 07, 2004 05:57, Shawn Lamson wrote:

> From the cu man page:
>        cu locates a port to use in the UUCP configuration files.  If
> a simple system  name  is given, it will select a port
>        appropriate for that system.  The -p, --port, -l, --line,
>        -s and--speed options may be used to control the port
> selection.
>
> Since you are doing that assignment via the options you should be
> able to skip the UUCP config files.
> What if you just do
> #cu -l ttyS0

It connects if I only do that. Add a -c <tel #> and it balks, but now it
balks differently:

~$ cu -l ttyS0 -c 5551234
cu: hayes: Dialer not found
cu: not found

as opposed to

>>~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -c 5551234
>>cu: No matching ports

The use of /dev/ttyS0 as opposed to ttyS0 appears to make no difference.

I did at some point create a file in /etc/uucp with some options and
told cu about it via the -I parameter, but it appeared to balk at that
as well so I don't know if that did any good or not.

> ??? Can you then just send commands to the modem?  Try ATDP. Also
> make sure you have permissions set on the device file - /dev/ttyS0 or
> S1 or whatever - try chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0 if you aren't sure.

ATDP now works, although it didn't last night. I'm really not sure why
it didn't and now it does (I did do a test run with kfax just to make
sure I wasn't going insane). I can now successfully dial out with ATDP,
pick up the telephone handset and talk (I talked to myself on a cell
phone - such fun). But I'd still like to be able to pass it as a
command line argument from within kaddressbook since that was the point
of all this.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations