Re: Phone dialer for Linux

On February 06, 2004 18:12, Darik Horn wrote:
>  > I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like
>  > the following:
>  >
>  > ~$ somedialer  -P{ulse}  -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>
>
> Try minicom, tip, and cu.  Use whatever best fits your taste.

tip doesn't even exist in the repository (at least not by that name) and
minicom seems too much for what I want. So I tried cu:

~$ cu -c 5551234
cu: must specify system, line, port or speed
Usage: cu [options] [system or phone-number]
Use cu --help for help

ok... so let's try:

~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -c 5551234
cu: No matching ports

I don't know what it is about modem-related programs and their manpages,
but they are among the most confusing manpages in existence. I swear
someone invented ethernet one day out of frustration of trying to get
an understanding of dialing out on a modem. Am I supposed to have a
config file? Where should it be? The man page and --help output make
mention of a "named port". This sounds like a funny concept to me, but
it does suggest a config file is necessary. Unfortunately the man page
makes no mention of where that config file should be or more
importantly how it should be structured.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations