Re: Soundcard probs and total novice

Hello

Steve Hargreaves (<Steve@hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk>) wrote:

> On Friday 06 February 2004 8:25 am, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> > What the hell do I need to do to get the souncard working?
>>
>> Load the driver. ac97 is not sufficient. And add yourself to the
>> audio group to solve the permission problems.
>
> OK - having checked - the alsa drivers were not installed - however -
> I'm a bit tentative now. I used dselect to select the driver modules -
> and the dependancy list included the 2.4.16 kernel-image. I'm
> currently using the 2.4.24 kernel, and don't want it overwriting
> (2.4.24 needed for USB support - which works just fine).
>
> Can I simply deselect the kernel image, or are the alsa modules
> looking for something specific in the kernel-image?

With that Kernel your card should be supported without ALSA. If you want
to use ALSA, you have to compile the modules. There are no precompiled
drivers for your custom Kernel. Install the alsa source package and
kernel-package. This should allow you to create a deb file with the
drivers. You can get information on how to do that here:

<http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html>

This explains the procedure for pcmcia modules, but it should also with
ALSA.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--