Re: Soundcard probs and total novice

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:15:56AM +0000, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2004 8:25 am, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
> > > What the hell do I need to do to get the souncard working?
> >
> > Load the driver. ac97 is not sufficient. And add yourself to the audio
> > group to solve the permission problems.
>
> OK - having checked - the alsa drivers were not installed - however - I'm a
> bit tentative now. I used dselect to select the driver modules - and the
> dependancy list included the 2.4.16 kernel-image. I'm currently using the
> 2.4.24 kernel, and don't want it overwriting (2.4.24 needed for USB support -
> which works just fine).

If that is a custom kernel you will need to compile alsa yourself (get
the alsa-source package and make-kpkg --revision <kernel-revision>
--addedmodules alsa-driver modules-image in the kernel top directory)
If its the debian package then there are alsa modules for it in
unstable.
Then get the alsaconf package and do ln -s /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9
/etc/modutils/alsa and then run alsaconf. (you may need some of the
other alsa packages also).
That should get all you modules loaded with the right parameters.
Next you will need to check permissions on /dev/dsp. Try running sound
as root first to see that everything is working. Find a wav file and
run cat <wav file> > /dev/dsp. You should hear it now. If you don't
hear sound but don't get any other errors try running alsamixer and set
the volumes.