Re: Soundcard probs and total novice

Hello

Steve (<Steve@hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk>) wrote:

> I have an onboard soundcard that should conform to the ac97 module. I
> can insmod ac97, and the associated modules. Soundcore is also
> installed - but /dev/dsp is still not available (either doesn't exist
> or permission denied - it tends to vary).

Depending on if you are logged in as root or not?

> What the hell do I need to do to get the souncard working?

Load the driver. ac97 is not sufficient. And add yourself to the audio
group to solve the permission problems.

> To elimintate the obvious - everything is plugged in correctly - I
> have a dual boot system - and it all works with windows. OSS is fine -
> Alsa installed OK (AFAIKT) - so what next?

Add the following to /etc/modutils/aliases or your own file in /etc
modutils:

alias sound-slot-0 $driver

and run update modules. $driver needs to be replaced by the module you
need. It could be i810_audio, or via82cxxx_audio, or maybe sis (or
sis_audio?), depending on the chip your mainboard uses. Or you choose
to use one of the ALSA drivers, which you need to install/compile
first. lspci can identificate your onboard sound chip, and with that
information you should be able to find out which driver to use. If you
decide to use ALSA, you should be able to find information on your chip
and needed driver on the ALSA home page. If you can't, then you can of
course ask again here, the probability is high that some people reading
the list know exactly which driver you need.

Also note that maybe you need an up to date Kernel that supports your
sound chip. You should at least install one of the
kernel-image-2.4.18-1 packages, if you do not want to use ALSA.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen