Re: postfix [was Re: Sendmail vs Exim vs Others]

Hello.

I'd like to help! ... not a clue if this fits your requirements or
whether it is indeed helpful. (Its meant to be my benefit to the
group, rather of awaiting replies to my own inquiries ...)

I use following setup in postfix, which I think is much greater then
exim. (exim and ppp/dialin gave me too much problem I could not cope,
also postfix's much easier to setup!)

----- main.cf ---------

[...]
mydestination = csav-3, localhost.localdomain, localhost
[...]

append_dot_mydomain = no

relayhost = smtp.mailhost.net ## any smtp host
defer_transports = smtp
disable_dns_lookups = yes
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

---- canonicals only entry: ---

#user		email
gerd	speednet@world.net

---- last but not least: /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd (only one line) ---

## a bit confused: whole email as passwd like gmx must have / could be
   also somekind of alphanumerical one, for instance "passwd123"

smtp.mailhost.net	 speednet@world.net:fit9084

that's it!

you have to rehash the canonical and sas_passwd to have them as true
databases workable for postfix.

"postmap [filename]" will do the job. Please I am not sure, if you
would ever get to this point beg one else to answer this (long ago I
set this up, i forgot)

best regards,
alex