Re: postfix [was Re: Sendmail vs Exim vs Others]

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:39:54AM +0100, Tobias Reckhard wrote:
> Nano Nano wrote:
> >My first test message to the outside world bounced with:
> >
> ><40119.nospam@comcast.net>: host smtp.comcast.net[216.148.227.125] said:
> >550
> >    [PERMFAIL] comcast.net requires valid sender (in reply to RCPT TO
> >command)
> >
> >exim always added my "Sender" header for me.
>
> I presume comcast is rejecting your email because it doesn't like the
> hostname given in the HELO/EHLO command. It saying 'comcast.net requires
> valid sender' sounds like it. What do 'postconf myorigin' and 'postconf
> myhostname' say? You (or rather comcast) want myorigin to be a hostname
> that's in the Internet DNS.

# postconf myorigin
myorigin = $myhostname
# postconf myhostname
myhostname = desk

Should I just change "mail name" during postfix debconf questions to
"comcast.net" ??  Mail will then appear to come from
[accountname]@comcast.net or root@comcast.net which are not real emails.

It looks like I need to modify virtual(5) or canonical(5) but I cannot
grok the examples from postfix-doc.  aliases(5) seems to be okay; it's
correctly delivering local root mail to my account.