Re: Multi-head (non-Xinerama) window managers

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:33:01AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> The scenario in which I would like to use dual head is a work screen
> and next to it a screen for GUI applications, like the browser,
> jpilot, and a mail reader. Furthermore, I want multiple desktops.
> Running X with Xinerama means that a desktop change affects both
> screens, which is not what I want. Thus, I want to go without
> Xinerama.

That sounds very similar to the setup I have here.  I am using Fluxbox as my
WM.  It's rather lightweight but has support for Gnome/KDE/Windowmaker applets,
which is nice.

> If I am working on screen 0 and would like to switch to a terminal
> or browser window on screen 1, I have to click on the window title
> bar -- clicking on the window does not transfer the focus. Within
> a single screen, however, this works as expected.

I use sloppy focus, so I couldn't comment on this I'm afraid.

> The second example is related to the previous one. I have Ctrl-Alt-T
> mapped to give me a terminal window. However, when the focus resides
> on screen 0 even though the mouse is on screen 1, pressing that
> keycombo will pop up the terminal on screen 0. Clicking on the
> background or application clip does not transfer the focus. Thus, in
> order to open a window on screen 1, one needs an already opened
> window to transfer the focus to screen 1 -- a bootstrap problem that
> can only be overcome with the window maker application menu -- which
> is painful.

Here in Fluxbox it would seem that using a key combo to open a new terminal
window always opens it on the screen the mouse cursor is on, regardless of
focus.

HTH,

--
Sam Bashton