Multi-head (non-Xinerama) window managers

I have spent a couple days now playing around with two screens,
SLS (Xinerama, Single Logical Screen) and dual head, and I can't
report success in finding an ideal solution pertaining to window
managers.

The short story, for those who don't want to read my ramblings and
eexperiences: if you are using a window manager in a dual/multi-head
configuration without Xinerama, and you are happy with it, please
let me know which one you use and possibly share your configuration
with me.

The scenario in which I would like to use dual head is a work screen
and next to it a screen for GUI applications, like the browser,
jpilot, and a mail reader. Furthermore, I want multiple desktops.
Running X with Xinerama means that a desktop change affects both
screens, which is not what I want. Thus, I want to go without
Xinerama.

At first, I tried Gnome/Metacity, but I was largely disappointed as
applications do not honour $DISPLAY correctly and windows popped up
on screen 0 by default, even though I started them from the panel on
screen 1. Furthermore, Gnome/Metacity is way too slow for my taste.

So then I went back to WindowMaker and got it to run two separate
instances on the two screens. Cut'n'paste works, dragging windows
between the screen obviously doesn't, but that's fine by me.
However, I am still not 100% happy, mainly because of the focus
issue. I'll give you two examples, keep in mind that I run 'click'
focus mode, that is, I have to click a window to give it the focus.
I prefer this to sloppy focus where the window under the mouse
cursor is focused.

If I am working on screen 0 and would like to switch to a terminal
or browser window on screen 1, I have to click on the window title
bar -- clicking on the window does not transfer the focus. Within
a single screen, however, this works as expected.

The second example is related to the previous one. I have Ctrl-Alt-T
mapped to give me a terminal window. However, when the focus resides
on screen 0 even though the mouse is on screen 1, pressing that
keycombo will pop up the terminal on screen 0. Clicking on the
background or application clip does not transfer the focus. Thus, in
order to open a window on screen 1, one needs an already opened
window to transfer the focus to screen 1 -- a bootstrap problem that
can only be overcome with the window maker application menu -- which
is painful.

There are like 40 or more window managers in Debian, and I really
don't want to try one after the other. Thus, if you have already
made experiences with window managers and multi-head configurations
that don't use Xinerama, talk to me!

`. `'`