Re: A letter for Mr. Darl McBride - personal use

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> said on Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:45:48 -0600:
> Brett Carrington writes:
> > Except a chance to be paid back for you hard work, in either money or
> > source code improvements.
>
> "Paid back" implies a bargain: that he told me "If you write this software
> I will pay you back with x."  No such bargain existed.  I wrote the
> software for my own reasons.  Now that it exists it costs me nothing to
> share it with him.
>
> > That's what you lose.
>
> After he copies my software I possess everything I had before he copied
> it.  Thus I lose nothing.  Absence of gain != loss.

Also, much of what I rip and burn would be stuff I wouldn't buy
anyway (and you sure as hell wouldn't buy $69 million worth of CD's,
which one particular company said they lost and are consequently suing
a guy for).

As it so happens, I have neither bought a CD in the past 2 years, or
ripped a CD. I'm just sick of hearing everything new. Nothing's worth
listening to anymore.

size doesn't matter, resolution matters:
Hmm, I might be able to use that one tonight. -- someone on /.