Re: A letter for Mr. Darl McBride - personal use

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 rthoreau@iwon.com wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 12:09:43PM -0500, Al Davis wrote:
> >
> > You took.  You gave nothing back.

..

> > Napster took.  It gave nothing back.

..

> I admit it I am a leach, I take stuff off Usenet for my personal gain once in a while
> I post something of value, but overall I take more than I give. Even leaches have their
> usefullness, help in reducing blood clots after surgery.  Most people on Usenet could be
> considered parasites, in the same way Robin Hood takes it from the rich and gives to the

nothing wrong with "personal use"

and "leaches" can also provide valuable info ??
	- it tests the network and infrastructure
	- it tests that the "commodity" is of value to the "market"
	- it doesn't cost a dime, to do a fairly accurate market survey
	since pr/marketing/ad agencies/distribution are out of the loop
	- lots of other benefits???

the problem is when people [$$-hungry corps]  try to sell and make $$$ off
of other people's hard work and do so in violation of copyrights and
licenses ??

napster and other cmmercial entities for the sole purpose of
bypassng licenses, distribution and royalties [deserve, imho] to be
shutdown ..
on the other hand, dmca is taking "it" way too far

c ya
alvin