Re: Windows and Printing Systems

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:48:39PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:

> >>[Rant]
> >>I'd love to help you, but printing on Linux is _still_ a black art. I've
> >>been using Debian exclusively on my boxes for about four years now, and
> >>I generally just avoid printing if I can. Of course everyone's going to
> >>come back on this comment and say "Use CUPS! It's ultra easy!" or "You
> >>did replace the obsolete lpr with lprng, right?" and such, but then you
> >>still have to tell Mozilla to print to "qtcups" or to "lpr -PmyPrinter
> >>--use-secret-incantation" and configure OpenOffice.org (somehow . . .)
> >>and, and, and, and it's just black magic as far as I can tell. And I'm
> >>not a stupid person. So the short answer is, "Good luck!"
> >>[/End_of_Rant]
> >>
> >I install cupsys-bsd, and in the "Print Command" dialog box of any
> >application I'm printing from I enter "lp". I haven't used
> >OpenOffice.org, but this works for everything else I've tried,
> >including mozilla.
> >
> The one machine I tried this on did not work that way (I finally
> resorted to using qtcups as the command, which works fine). Of course, I
> was printing to a color network printer via IP. And that's my point.
> Sure cups works, here, here, and here. But once you start throwing in
> the exceptions, a winprinter here, a network printer there, a usb
> printer over yon, it seems that there's no canonical solution. I've had
> enough success to know that most problems can be overcome, but I can't
> answer the original poster's questions, because there's never a
> consistent pattern that works for me.

The OP's question was about printing via the parallel port on the
local machine, and in this particular case my solution does seem to
work. It also works for a parallel port printer on a different machine
on the local network. The more complicated cases, (winprinters, USB
and the rest) I haven't had the need to try yet. Perhaps I am lucky :-)

> Don't take this as whining; I'm just saying that my perception of
> printing in Linux is that it's still a black art, and I'm not wizard
> enough to solve the problem remotely (whereas if I were sitting at his
> machine I could probably eventually beat it into submission).

Oh, I quite agree about the black art bit - having recently spent some
tedious time and a lot of paper tweaking various PageSize, Margins,
HWMargins etc. settings in /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd, trying to get (a) an
Apple Stylewriter and (b) an HP LaserJet II to print (1) PostScript
output from GUI apps and (2) plain text files fed straight to lp, with
correct margins and without clipping the edges. My experience so far
has been that getting it to work is fairly easy, but getting it to
work just right is not.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons