Re: Windows and Printing Systems

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:07:53PM +0000, Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> I hereby promise that in a near future I will make a conceptual network
> of this outstanding forum publicly available (as part of my PhD reserach
> on adaptive hypertext). There everybody will be able to find the right
> archived answer by ostensive querying. In the meanwhile, please help me
> the old fashion way.
>
> * Window/Desktop System *
> I manage to get a decent resolution working with twn. Now, can I change
> to a more modern system? How? I tried to install kde and gnome with
> apt-get but failed upon dependencies. What do I need to put in my
> sources.list? (I don't have CDs yet, just a cable connection.) In the
> meanwhile: how does one close windows in twn?
>
> * Printing/CUPS *
> I managed to install cupsys via apt-get and added a printer with the web
> interface, but this printer does not show up in the print dialog of the
> applications. It's an HP DeskJet on the parallell port. What am I missing?
>
> Thanks a lot.

You might want to give Fluxbox a go, unless you like KDE or Gnome, Fluxbox and Rox filer is
a really good combination. Even though Rox is not available in the regular channels, they
do make .deb files for getting it installed.  Also their are good resources available
for making it really slick, I really like it.

As far as printing goes you need to check out http://www.linuxprinting.org, HP makes a special
driver for their printers.  The best way to do it is to install HP's driver per their instructions
and then have CUP's recognize the driver for best results.  I know that CUP's might list
your printer but it is really best to go with HP's driver.  It might take a little reading
of the documents to get it just right, but it will be worth the effort.

I haven't had any problems at all with my MultiFunction HP printer after installing the proper
Linux drivers.  In fact scanning works better in Linux than in Windows.

Rthoreau