Windows and Printing Systems

I hereby promise that in a near future I will make a conceptual network
of this outstanding forum publicly available (as part of my PhD reserach
on adaptive hypertext). There everybody will be able to find the right
archived answer by ostensive querying. In the meanwhile, please help me
the old fashion way.

* Window/Desktop System *
I manage to get a decent resolution working with twn. Now, can I change
to a more modern system? How? I tried to install kde and gnome with
apt-get but failed upon dependencies. What do I need to put in my
sources.list? (I don't have CDs yet, just a cable connection.) In the meanwhile: how does one close windows in twn?

* Printing/CUPS *
I managed to install cupsys via apt-get and added a printer with the web
interface, but this printer does not show up in the print dialog of the
applications. It's an HP DeskJet on the parallell port. What am I missing?

Thanks a lot.