Re: FireWire disk - sharing with an iBook?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:01:24 +0000
James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk> wrote:

> "Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:05:14 +0000
> > James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Lacie Firewire pocket drive. I'd rather like to be able
> > > to use it on both my Debian (Sid) box and my iBook (Mac OsX).
> > <snip>
> > > The fact that a colleague has a USB keyring solid-state disk that
> > > is readable on Mac, Linux and Windows without any problems
> > > suggests that it should be possible
> >
> > I suspect this is because the USB keyring is formatted with a
> > dos/fat partition. When I was trying to swap Iomega zip disks
> > between Linux, Windows and Mac this was the easiest way to get it to
> > work.
> >
> > In theory, you should be able to do the same with the Firewire
> > drive, though if you don't have a copy of Windows you might have
> > trouble getting it formatted with a fat partition.
>
> The keyring is vfat, (which can be created on Linux but not for a 40Gb
> disk). But I do have Ext2 on the Mac and that's what I created.

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm not much help then. It almost sounds like they're
using conflicting versions of e2fstools or whatever the Mac equivalent
is.

The only Mac (old B&W G3) I have around here is currently running OS 8.6
and having hardware problems that make me wonder if it's worth
repairing. It'll probably be a text only server some day.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

NT == No Thanks