Re: Grub doing strange things

Alan Chandler wrote:

> I've just switched over to grub.
>
> When I boot it seems to automagically include all the kernels installed
> in /boot in its list after the ones I put there.
>
> 1) How do they get there, and can you turn them off
>
> 2) Why do they always fail to work (seems they are missing an initrd clause)

Just a guess (I use Grub, but not initrd), but it may have to do with
how you have the initrd files named. The following is from the
update-grub man page:

"It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with
the same version as  kernels  found.  e.g.  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5  and
/boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or
simliar to be added for the kernel entry in the menu.lst."

Tom