Re: FireWire disk - sharing with an iBook?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:49:31 -0600
Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 13:05, James Tappin wrote:
> > I have a Lacie Firewire pocket drive. I'd rather like to be able to use it
> > on both my Debian (Sid) box and my iBook (Mac OsX).
> >
> > I have no problems making it accessible to either machine but neither
> > seems to be able to read the other's partition table. Is there any way to
> > be able to read a Mac partition table on the Linux box or to write a
> > partition table on the Linux box that will be readable on the Mac?
> >
> > The fact that a colleague has a USB keyring solid-state disk that is
> > readable on Mac, Linux and Windows without any problems suggests that it
> > should be possible
>
> I must admit that I know very little about the inner workings of a Mac,
> but from everything I've seen with regards to Debian I had been under
> the impression that just about anything a Mac has Debian will in some
> way support. What's odd is that you say that they are unable to read
> each other's partition TABLE. By this I'm assuming you mean that doing
> something like 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' (assuming sda is your firewire drive
> of course) shows nothing? This leads me to believe that this isn't
> really related to the partition table at all. Possibly a
> misconfiguration with regards to firewire somewhere along the line.
>
> What are you doing in order to use the firewire drive under Linux? Do
> you have all of the appropriate modules loaded with no error messages?
> (ieee1394, ohci1394, and sbp2)
> --
> Alex Malinovich
> Support Free Software, delete your Windows partition TODAY!
> Encrypted mail preferred. You can get my public key from any of the
> pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837

Initially I formatted the disk on the Mac and created a single Ext2
partitition on it.

When I plugged it into the PC, hotplug detected the disk and loaded the
relevant modules successfully. However when I ran fdisk to determine which
partition was in use it complained that there wasn't a valid partition
table on the disk:
xena:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 38154 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

The same thing when there is no disk present gives no output at all.

If I format the disk on the PC the Mac sees a partition but fails to read
it. (Endianness issue in the OsX Ext2 driver?).

In each case the disk works correctly on the system on which it was formatted.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering