Re: FireWire disk - sharing with an iBook?

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 13:05, James Tappin wrote:
> I have a Lacie Firewire pocket drive. I'd rather like to be able to use it
> on both my Debian (Sid) box and my iBook (Mac OsX).
>
> I have no problems making it accessible to either machine but neither
> seems to be able to read the other's partition table. Is there any way to
> be able to read a Mac partition table on the Linux box or to write a
> partition table on the Linux box that will be readable on the Mac?
>
> The fact that a colleague has a USB keyring solid-state disk that is
> readable on Mac, Linux and Windows without any problems suggests that it
> should be possible

I must admit that I know very little about the inner workings of a Mac,
but from everything I've seen with regards to Debian I had been under
the impression that just about anything a Mac has Debian will in some
way support. What's odd is that you say that they are unable to read
each other's partition TABLE. By this I'm assuming you mean that doing
something like 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' (assuming sda is your firewire drive
of course) shows nothing? This leads me to believe that this isn't
really related to the partition table at all. Possibly a
misconfiguration with regards to firewire somewhere along the line.

What are you doing in order to use the firewire drive under Linux? Do
you have all of the appropriate modules loaded with no error messages?
(ieee1394, ohci1394, and sbp2)
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837