Re: script to list installed packages

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 02:21:38PM -0500, Einstein9112@yahoo.com wrote:

> The origional idea for this was for instances of having installed
> something to try it out, then removing it.  If a bunch of dependencies
> were pulled in, I don't remember what they are.  Over time this leads to
>  lots of cruft on the system that takes time to weed through.
>
> It would also be helpful for sysadmins to keep records of maintainance.
>  Plus, how many times have people said on this list "I did a
> dist-upgrade a few days ago, and now...." or "I THINK foo was
> installed/upgraded ....".

I use this script to do what you say:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200311/msg04727.html

By taking a snapshot of what you have installed each day, you can diff
any two and see what changed, when.  My scripts also move
replaced/updated debs to archive directories by date, but you can also
get them from snapshot.debian.net.