Re: How do I create subdomains

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:42:02AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2004 10:40 am, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > I want to create some subdomains to my ip and/or top domain name. My top
> > domain name is (will be) pointing at gandi.net and is going to be
> > redirected to my home. Any pointers or suggestions will be greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>

> Can you be more specific about what you mean by "redirected to my home"
>
> If you have a domain name, you have to give the powers that be two name
> servers for the domain.  Normally whoever you purchased your domain name from
> will provide those nameservers.  These will then dish out information about
> your name to who ever asks.

Being more specific:
I bought the top level domain name from http://www.gandi.net; they offer what
they call parking, which is what I explained earlier: they leave the
top level domain name and redirect any services to the ip that you
request.
See
http://www.gandi.net/support/SelfService/Gandi.php?groupid=96&locale=en_GB

I think that using (4.4 in link) Customized DNS I will be in better
shape, but I will have to study more about DNS.
I have used redirection by Gandi before, then used a hosting company,
and now I am thinking about hosting it myself. It is anyway a family
site, so there is no need for 100% uptime and so forth. Email could be
redirected to ISP provider account, etc.
This is as far as my planning has gone.
Thanks for the help.