Re: How do I create subdomains

On Sunday 25 January 2004 10:40 am, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> I want to create some subdomains to my ip and/or top domain name. My top
> domain name is (will be) pointing at gandi.net and is going to be
> redirected to my home. Any pointers or suggestions will be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "redirected to my home"

If you have a domain name, you have to give the powers that be two name
servers for the domain.  Normally whoever you purchased your domain name from
will provide those nameservers.  These will then dish out information about
your name to who ever asks.

Some of this things they dish out include the mail server for the domain -
often then pass it to one of their own machines which then forward it to
whereever you tell them, they may also provide a service for www.<your
domain> to point at a web page etc.

In my case I have done the following (you could do the same sort of thing)

a) created a subname home.chandlerfamily.org.uk which points at my home ip
address

b) set one of the MX records for chandlerfamily.org.uk to point at
home.chandlerfamily.org.uk - this redirecting mail at me  (others point at
the original places as backup).

I could ((but haven't) created a nameserver for home.chandlerfamily.org.uk to
dish out further information on <sub name>.home.chandlerfamily.org.uk .

However, in my case, all the machine are behind a NAT firewall - so instead of
giving them long names, the all have a form <sub name>.home with a nameserver
behind my firewall supporting the names within.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk