Re: Unable to disable IDE DMA on boot

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:11:39 +0200, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:41:35AM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:40:18 +0200, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:
>> > I have a problem disabling IDE DMA. I am trying to install Debian Sarge
>> > in to an old laptop and with DMA enabled (default) I keep getting DMA
>> > timeouts and retries from /dev/hda. The kernel image is 2.4.23-1-386
>> > (2.4.23-1).
>>
>> You could turn it off with hdparm.
>
> That would be fine if it were not the hard disk drive that does not work
> with DMA enabled. Having the DMA enabled (as it is by default using this
> kernel) the laptop does not start up to the point where hdparm would be
> executed. Or well, it might if I would wait several hours for each
> read/write request to timeout :)
>
> So I need to disable the DMA right at boot. Usually this has been done
> by giving the kernel "ide=nodma" parameter but now with the modular
> kernel this does not appear to work.

You don't say exactly where the problem starts.  But I assume that you
have checked to see if you can turn off DMA from the BIOS.

Anyway, I did a bit of looking around and found these.  The second one is
interesting because it may offer a solution.  In any case, you might want
to try posting to debian-boot, maybe someone there has the definitive
solution.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg00794.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg00279.html

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual