Re: ddt-client error

(i first sent the mail mistakenly to Jan's email instead of the list.
My apologies for this)

<snip>

> What you did, basically, is you circumvent the installation scripts.
> This is not a Good Thing:  These scripts not only copy the things where
> they should be, but also do some housekeeping work, change permissions
> here and there, etc.  Your system is now in an undefined state.  Don't
> report bugs or ask for a help, if things break...  Furthermore, the sleep
> bug might be a consequence by your disk failure you wrote about in
> another thread.

No, the disk failure occured only on that part of /usr (on LVM) that was
placed on the second disk. All other partitions are on my first disk so it
seems very unlikely that this is the cause.

About the circumvent: the part with sleep 0.1 is commented in the script
after installation with a text above it that says to uncomment that line
(and 3 others) to make sure the script starts to send your ip immediately
to there servers on startup. Because i never could reach my box after a
reboot, i checked the script and then saw this comment so i then
uncommented those lines. Then the error occured so i'm not circumventing
anything only did what the script suggested.

I also don't see why my system would be in an undefined state: i had the
same package installed correctly already before the disk problem but i
tried to reinstall it to make sure that if some files where placed on that
broken /usr, they would (be reinstalling) be rewritten to my new /usr. So
dpkg still knows about the package and the exact places where they are
installed.

When i now run it, i don't get any errors and dpkg is satisfied and
reports it as fully configured.

Regards,
Benedict