Debugging network problems

Friend has a Brother Fax/Printer thingy.  It has an ethernet port and it
has this "Internet Fax" setup (which is not really a fax) where you type
in someone's email address, scan some documents and it emails an image
(tiff format).  It's basically a mail client.

Here's the problem:  He has a pppoe setup.  He's got a DSL modem/router
that does the dialup to the ISP.  AFAIK when you connect to the router
it then connects to the DSL.

He has the machine configured to send to his smtp server at
his ISP -- just like his normal mail account.   He can send a few pages
without any problem.  But if he tries sending a lot of data it doesn't
work. The printer just says "Network Failure" and that's it.

Placing the print on my LAN and sending documents to my exim server
works perfectly.  So, I think the next step is to use tcpdump or
etherreal to see if his SMTP connection if failing for some reason.

His DSL modem/router is also a wireless switch.  I've tried using
tcpdump and etherreal but I think the switch is hiding the packets from
my machine.

So the question is, in a setup like the above what's the best way to get
in and sniff the packets?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org