Re: Tuning X

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:19:53AM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I tried hand editing the XF86COnfig by hand. Found in previous replies what to
> look for. Most all was set up OK. Made sure the DRI section was in all the
> various flavors I had since only -4 varients had that.
>
> The docs say that ATI 128m cards are supported.  have an ATI 64m card and this
> might be the problem. I wonder if the r128 driver would work on the lower
> memory card?

It's worth a shot I'd think, though I don't actually know if there are any
significant differences in the actual chipset. Probably a good idea to set
the VideoRam entry in XF86Config[-4] to 65536.

It might also be worth your while to browse around
<http://dri.sourceforge.net>. From a (very brief) look it seems as if your
card is supported but you might need X 4.3. This is in sid, and also
available as a woody backport.

> The kernel I was trying to install was the 2.4.24-1-i686-smp (because my
> present knoppix kernel has smp--btw what is it?).

SMP is "Symmetric Multi-Processing". You only need it if you have a
multi-processor machine. Having it on a single-processor machine is
unnecessary but shouldn't have any ill effects.

> Finally got lilo fixed but
> the kernel started loading with a myriad of broken module-messages and
> paniked. My old one still works so removed the 2.4.24-1. I do not have any
> 2.4.24-1 directories on my system, just 2.4.22 and 2.4.22-xfs as installed by
> the knoppix and one may need to install more than just the kernel image to
> succede. There were not error messages on the install, simply the double
> warning to include the initrd (this was installed/created successfully--this
> was why I was trying this to begin width--I would be satisfied getting my own
> initrd to boot until I am ready to take the 2.6 plunge!)

Hmmm... well, the main point is: do your 2.4.22 kernels have the agpgart.o
and r128.o modules available? Re initrd, I've never played with one myself,
as I've always built my own kernels, with all drivers they need to boot built
in (ie. not as modules). Initrds are generally used for distros' generic
kernels that need to have loads of drivers available to support as wide a
range of hardware as possible; building your own kernel, you know what
hardware it's going to run on so you just select the drivers your hardware
needs and build them in.

If your 2.4.22 kernels don't have the relevant modules available, two
possible solutions would be (a) build your own from source (which is easier
than it sounds!) or (b) post the error messages leading to the kernel panic,
to enable people on the list to figure out what may be going on (pencil and
paper will be required, I'm afraid!)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons