RE:Tuning X

Thanks for the advice.

I tried hand editing the XF86COnfig by hand. Found in previous replies what to
look for. Most all was set up OK. Made sure the DRI section was in all the
various flavors I had since only -4 varients had that.

The docs say that ATI 128m cards are supported.  have an ATI 64m card and this
might be the problem. I wonder if the r128 driver would work on the lower
memory card?

The kernel I was trying to install was the 2.4.24-1-i686-smp (because my
present knoppix kernel has smp--btw what is it?). Finally got lilo fixed but
the kernel started loading with a myriad of broken module-messages and
paniked. My old one still works so removed the 2.4.24-1. I do not have any
2.4.24-1 directories on my system, just 2.4.22 and 2.4.22-xfs as installed by
the knoppix and one may need to install more than just the kernel image to
succede. There were not error messages on the install, simply the double
warning to include the initrd (this was installed/created successfully--this
was why I was trying this to begin width--I would be satisfied getting my own
initrd to boot until I am ready to take the 2.6 plunge!)